Owl Image

What causes nausea and dizziness after a head injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I was putting a shim under the bottom of a bookcase, I didn't see a block of wood up top which fell and hit me in the head. The wood weighed about 1-2 lbs and fell about 5 ft. It struck me on the top/back of the head - basically right where both parietal bones come together slightly above the occipital bone. It happened about 4 hours ago. At impact it felt like it went threw me head and I had a strange taste in my mouth. That faded quickly. I iced the area. I have slight dizziness and nausea and pain at the site of impact which I expected. However, my cheekbone near my eye is now hurting too and I am attempting to study - and as I am reading I find that I have to keep rereading the same information... like it isn't "sinking in" as I read. My vision seems okay. My head feels sort of like when you get off of a spinning ride, not horribly, just that weird just not quite right feeling that lingers after. I never lost consciousness and have no amnesia. Pupils seem fine. No vomiting. Is going to sleep alright at this point? I have stayed awake to see if anything changed - everything has stayed the same for a few hours except the pain in my cheekbone... that started about an hour ago and seems to be getting more tender. Would the hit cause this pain? Should I be concerned? Thank you!!
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should see a doctor

Detailed Answer:

I have read your case and I think you have sustained head injury and because of that you are feeling nausea, dizziness and confusion. It is good that there is no loss of consciousness and vomiting. But as you are saying, it is getting more and more painful and tender.

My suggestion to you is that you should see a doctor. As some time these injuries can cause damage in brain, which may cause complication ( epilepsy/ memory loss) in future.
Your doctor may asked you to get a CT scan of the brain.

I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any followup questions.
Thanks.