What causes muscle tightness in the arms and legs along with rapid heartbeat?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I get very tight muscles in my arms and legs and sometimes the shoulders and then I get a rapid bothersome rapid heartbeat, what can this be?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to an electrolyte imbalance or vitamin D deficiency.

A cardiac arrhythmia can not be excluded either, even considering your cardiac performed tests. But it would not explain the tightness in your arms and legs.

Coming to this point, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing further tests to investigate for the possible causes underlying your clinical situation:

- complete blood count for anemia
- blood electrolytes, including calcium and phosphorus
- vitamin D levels
- thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction.

An ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring would help exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri