What causes muscle knots in shoulder of a toddler?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Can a two year old toddler have a knot like muscle in the shoulder?
Answered by Dr. Arun 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it can happen

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Muscle knots can occur at any age.
It is because of excess calcium released in the nerve endings where the nerve tissue signals the muscle fibers.
Normally these knots can happen spontaneously or after a viral illness . But most of them tend to disappear spontaneously.
If really painful give your toddler acetaminophen. Hot compress with warm towels and massage should help too.
Ensure he drinks plenty of liquids to keep himself hydrated as dehydration can make these knots worse.
Wishing your toddler good health
Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Arun 5 hours later
Thank you for the quick response Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Arun 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj