• question-icon

What causes mosquito bite like rashes on the legs?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a lot of, what I think, are mosquito bites on my foot ankles, thighs and legs. The ones on my legs look like mosquito bites, but on the top of my foot and around my ankle, they are more like raised bumps....I was in XXXXXXX TN over past 2 days, in the city, not in the woods or near the river. Itchy, red and raised. Will 1% cortisone help?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, it should help. Also consider antihistamine cream

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, the cortisone would help. If you can get an anti histamine cream as well, this may also help to reduce your body's inflammatory's response.
E.g ivarest, derma-pax etc

You should continue the benadryl .

Since the lesions occur as part of the body's inflammatory's response, you may also want to consider an anti inflammatory agent if you can use these eg naproxen or ibuprofen.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 minutes later
Thanks for the response. Are there any OTC antihistamine creams you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
benadryl cream, ivarest

Detailed Answer:
HI

Some examples of topical antihistamines are benadryl cream (may be sold under this name or different brand names eg dermarest, derma-pax) , ivarest (contains the bendryl along with calamine)

Please feel free to ask anything else
Dr. Michelle Gibson James