What causes missed period while on Folic acid?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, i am taking folic acid tablets 5mg from last 30 days and now i have missed my periods for last 2 days. Can this tablet be the reason for this? I have done a home pregnancy test and it is negative.please advice
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not related to folic acid intake.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The delay in periods is not related to folic acid tablets that you are taking. The chances of pregnancy are still there. It is best to wait for a week more and in case the periods do not start till then, then do a repeat pregnancy test.
Stress, anxiety, irregular dietary habits or mild hormonal imbalance can also cause a delay in periods.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
now i am in Australia when i was in XXXXXXX my doctor prescribed me folic acid 5mg and duphaston 10 mg but i am only using folic acid. previously i was treated for pcos
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Delay is due to PCOS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If you have a history of PCOS then the delay in periods can be due to PCOS. Duphaston taken for 5 days will help in having periods. You will need to take Duphaston if your periods are irregular. After the periods are regularized then an ovulation induction therapy will be needed to help in conception.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.