• question-icon

What causes missed period, lower abdominal cramps and constipation?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hii , My wife missed her period . Her last period was on 20th febuary and cycle was 26 days . She have some pregnancy symptoms like light cramps in lower and right abdomen , tiredness , cramps in legs , constipation and changing in brest size , we were trying to conceive from 4 months . but today we took pregnancy test (not first urine sample ) it was negative . What should we do please consult us . Is she pregnant ?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat UPT on 25th or 26th of this month.

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for your query.
I have gone through your post and understand your concern.

If your wife's periods were regular then she should have experienced it by 17th or 18th of this month (assuming she has a regular cycle of 26 days).
Its been 4 days since she missed her expected period. So I would suggest you to take Urine pregnancy test after 1 week of missing her expected period ( ie repeat UPT on 25th or 26th).
If it is still negative and she doesn't get her period back then I would suggest you to consult your OBGYN. They may ask you to get an Ultrasonogram to rule out pregnancy.

Symptoms like Light cramps in lower abdomen, tiredness, cramps in legs etc are not specific to pregnancy. Variation with duration of period could also be a normal phenomenon.

Usually we advice couples to try for at least one year before referring them to infertility clinic. You still have good chance. So keep trying if pregnancy is ruled out in USG this time.

Kindly repeat UPT test as advised.
Hope this helps.
Take care, Bye.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 27 hours later
Thank you for giving us information. One thing more that continue veginal white and watery discharge from 3 days what's reason?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Harmonal imbalance/ Altered vaginal commensals/ BV Infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi...
Welcome back.
Thank you for follow up query.

Sometimes harmonal imbalance may cause variation with the vaginal secretion.
Also Bacterial vaginosis( BV) can cause white discharge which has fishy odor.
Microscopic examination of vaginal secretions to look for specific types of cells and Whiff test can diagnose Bacterialvaginosis.
Alteration of normal commensals (non pathological bacterias residing in vagina) may also cause increased secretions.

If secretion is not much and not bothering the patient, then don't worry. It is going to subside gradually. But if it has fishy odor, itching and bothering patient then I would advice you to consult your OBGYN for proper internal examination.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Deepak.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Deepak