What causes memory issues and slight tingling sensation in hands?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I'm 32 year old female. I'm experiencing very strange memory issues. As of a few weeks ago, I will be thinking of something and then it is just gone. And I have a hard time concentrating. Now for the past 5-6 days I have had slight tingling in my hands. I had a baby 4 months ago also. Are my symptoms something I should go in for or could it still be related to having a baby?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
post partum memory issues

Detailed Answer:
Hi!

Welcome to health care magic!

I am Dr. Saddiq Ul Abidin. I have read your problem in detail and will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all it is really sad to know what you had been exeriencing lately. Based on the brief history you have shared, since the recent event of child birth, raises possibility of post partum anxiety or depression. Although 4 months since labor is quite some time, but it can present between few days to months variably. The reason is thought to be rapid shift of hormones from pregnancy levels to normal physiological levels.

In any case, it needs a review with a psychiatrist who might ask you certain screening questions. If you feel less attachment to baby or symptoms like lack of concentration or decreased appetite than that would cause emergent need for a referral.

In any case, you need not to worry as it is completely reversible and every eighth woman is prone to develop it. Even if it screens out to be negative, still the top priority should be based on its exclusion. If it proves to be causative for your symptoms than counseling alone or with some tricyclic antidepressants may help, and contraindication to lactation can be discussed in detail with your psychiatrist.

Tingling of hands can be psychosomatic symptoms but if such symtoms increase or involve other parts of your body then neurologist opinion should also be sought and nerve conduction studies and brain imaging modalities can also be availed if asked so by neurologist.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. kindly rate me generously before closing, and leave your feedback if possible.

Dr. Saddiq Ul abidin.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar