Can lactation happen without being pregnant?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 6 Oct 2017 in General Health
Question: Is it possible to lactate while not or ever being pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes with the help of hormonal supplements.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Lactation is controlled by pituitary hormones, not ovarian hormones. Any woman can stimulate and induce lactation with proper methods. Abnormal hormonal changes pituitary tumors or galactorrhea can cause a lactation without being pregnant. You can also induce lactation with the help of proper hormone supplements. You will need to consult a gynecologist for proper hormonal supplements.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D