question-icon

Can benign pituitary tumors become malignant?

Posted on Mon, 9 Jan 2017
Question: Can a pituitary tumor re grow
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
They can grow, but slowly generally. Most are not cancerous. Consult neuros

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The good news is that most pituitary tumors are NOT cancerous. In some rare cases, w can have very few of them becoming cancerous.

It is important to get a consultation with a neurosurgeon. Treatment is usually effective when a thorough evaluation is done early. Radiation therapy and at times surgery are generally associated with positive outcomes when properly assessed and acted upon early.

There is no reason to bother so much so early now since most of the pituitary tumors are not malignant (cancerous) and grow slowly. However, I think you should book an appointment with a neurosurgeon.

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please, do feel free asking further specific questions in case of need.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain