• question-icon

What causes manic episodes during testosterone therapy?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am considering testosterone therapy for low T and high estrogen. I am wondering if this could increase my chances of having a manic episode since I have been diagnosed with PTSD, OCD(Which mimick and could very well be undiagnosed bi polar2) I just got out of a severe depression which lasted four months. I'm on Rexulti, prozac, ativan, 300 mg of lithium and weening off of neurontin(Originally used as a mood stabilizer and has been replaced with the lithium). My mood has been good since taking the rexulti although feeling a bit "keyed up" at times.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest to start treatment:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
This is a difficult situation, I can say.
At one side low testosterone can worse the '' depressive phase'' of Bipolar at the other side the dose of testosterone should be kept strictly within the normal ranges to prevent a deterioration of "maniac" phase.
So I would suggest to start treatment and keep monitoring closely the testosterone level.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist