What causes lump beside right nipple?

Posted on Tue, 15 Sep 2015 in Lump
Question: I'm a forty year old woman I have a large hard lump beside my right nipple on areola it's red and sore but hard under skin I've had a cyst in the past in the left breast but never like this my youngest child is six my doctor thinks it may be a milk duct and is treating it with anti biotics for 1 week if I press the lump I feel the pain down the side of my breast I'm taking pains in my other breast but no apparent lumps if also pain in my back I'm quite dizzy a lot a generally don't feel myself my mum had breast cancer three years ago hormonal type ???
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be an Abscess

Detailed Answer:
Hi
A red and sore swelling of the breast could be a Breast abscess.
Antibiotic and anti inflammatory tablets will cure the condition.In some patients,pus will be formed and has to be drained surgically by Incision.
In my opinion,you should get an Ultrasound of the breast to know any collection of pus.Cancer swellings of the breast will not be infected .In case,any swelling is detected,then you should get an FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) to know the exact nature of the lesion.
Nothing to worry.It will come down.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions,I will clarify further.
Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon