What causes lower right abdominal pain and tarry stools?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: i have lower right abdominal pain and very slack tarry stools

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pepto causes dark stool

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The pepto bismol that you may be using to help with the loose stool would cause the tarry or darker appearance.

Dark stool is a side effect of peptobismol.
It can also occur with iron tablets or if there is bleeding from the stomach, esophagus or small intestines.

The loose stool and abdominal pain, may be due to a viral infection, this is the most common reason for these symptoms, though they are others. If the pain is severe or consistent, then you should be seen.

If it is very mild or improving then..
Treatment normally involves--(1) resting the bowel , this means holding off of solid food till there is a 4 hour period with no symptoms

When this happens then a small amount of dry solid food can be tried

(2)fluids and electrolytes to replace what you are losing. Oral hydration packets or dilute sport drinks can be used

(3)probiotics may also help as well

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 minutes later
I have had the black stools prior to the Pepto Bismol.Took it thinking it might control the cramps.Have not taken it in several days and still no better
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to be seen as soon as possible, blood needs to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
HI

In that case, you need to be seen.

If the black stools started before the pepto then blood in the stool would need to be considered.

Please feel free to ask anything else