What causes lower back pain after childbirth?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello I had my third child in April. Since XXXXXXX I have had hip pain that extends into my back. It has only gotten worse as the months continue. It is almost a burning feeling in my bones. I also have some dull pelvic pain. It is isolated to one side. Not sure who to see obeyn or primary.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult your obgyn and then an orthopedician.

Detailed Answer:
Lower back pain is quite common features following a childbirth. It may radiate from lower back region to buttock, medial aspect of thigh or pelvic region up to vagina. Associated vaginal /urinary tract infection and intense stress may aggravate this condition.

Here, I suggest you to consult with your gynecologist regarding this for complete physical examination including pelvic exam (with/ without speculum) to rule out underlying causative factor. Initial investigations like vaginal swab test and urine examination- routine & microscopic may need to be carried out. In addition, one x-ray of lumber region may be useful. In extreme cases, you should consult with orthopedic surgeon/ physiotherapist for complete recovery.

Following things are very much helpful in preventing above condition:

1) Take proper antibiotic therapy/ suppository to combat vaginal/ urinary infection. Maintain genital hygiene properly. Drink more water/ fluids & empty bladder in regular interval.
2) Maintaining good posture during breast feeding or sleeping is much essential. Avoid sleeping on soft mattress. Foam or air mattress is quite comfortable.
3) Use hot and cold bag alternatively. You can lie on a heating pad for half to one hour, then replace it with an ice pack. Taking a hot bath with epsom salts can give some relief from low back pain.
4) Gentle stretching the back muscles & pilates classes (way of exercise for good health) are quite good for low back pain following a delivery. They strengthen abdominal muscles and make easier in relief back pain.

In addition, yoga & pelvic tilts are very much helpful for lower back pain. Pelvic tilts means lying on your back with knees bent and your feet flat on the floor. Tilt your tailbone toward belly button while keeping your hips on the floor in a subtle movement. At the top of the tilt, you tighten butt muscles & release after that . Repeat this exercise 10-15 times daily to get relief from back pain in great extent.
5) Take healthy diet with consuming more vegetables/ fruits and avoid spicy/ fatty food stuff.
6) Use some medication like muscle relaxant gel for local application, take calcium & methylcobalamin (vitamin B12) supplements.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL XXXX