What causes lower abdominal pain during pregnancy?

Posted on Tue, 18 Oct 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello I just found out two days ago that I am pregnant and I am having some constant aching pain on my lower left side mainly around my ovary. It feels almost like I am going to get my period but I have been seen by my doctor as of yesterday and he is stating that everything is fine. Is this type of pain normal in early pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is normal

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

This type of minor pain is common during early pregnancy. This is mainly due to changes in the uterus and hormonal influence on the urinary bladder.

This will go away soon. Drink more water meanwhile.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 5 minutes later
Two gestational sacs were found yesterday but only one was able to get a heartbeat. I had a cyst in XXXXXXX of this year on that same ovary and my doctor said something about that being the ovary that ovulated and it maybe the ovulation site. Is this common as well bc it feels like the same pain from before when the cyst was there? The cyst measured around 1/2 when it was first found and then by July it was almost gone so could the cyst have come back? No spotting or bleeding just that constant pain that is not extra bad on that side and now I'm worried about my little baby.
Answered by Dr. Soumya 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cyst pain possible

Detailed Answer:

It is possible that cyst might lead to such pain.

If there is ovulation there is Corpus luteum cyst to support pregnancy which is normal. Such mild pain is normal.

You don't need any treatment. This will support pregnancy.

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Dr. Soumya

OBGYN