What causes loss of concentration, brain fog and being unorganized?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I have symptoms of add, what do you think... can't concentrate, brain fog, unorganized, can't accomplish any tasks, can't sit still for too long I have to be up doing something amoung other symptoms. Please help
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult and regular follow up of a psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:
Hello, hope you are in good physical health.

As you have described your symptoms and probable diagnosis add, I think you are somewhat aware about add. You should think and evaluate also following points.

Have you ever suffered from this symptoms in childhood?
You can ask your parents about the same or you can get answer by your school history. This thing will just confirm that you had history of ADD in childhood or not.
If there is no such history in childhood, you may be having Adult ADD.
Have your family members or colleague at workplace told you that you just lack attention or goes in air when others are talking or you are not able to complete your work on time or you often forget small things or it is difficult to work with you on a topic for a long!

If most of all answers above goes in favor of "yes", likely possibility of Adult ADD. But for confirmation testing and detail history needed.

Adult Add is a treatable condition. You should get treatment in terms of lifestyle changes, food and sleep habit, your relationship problems if any, your physical problems if any,emotional disturbances due to add. All of these is done in two manners. One is medicines and second is counselling and behavior therapy.

Medicines used are generally called stimulant which are strictly given with doctor's prescription according to laws. You can discuss it in detail with your treating doctor.
Counselling and behavior therapy includes time management, lifestyle and habit modification, emotional management, meditation, memory improvement techniques and so on depending upon your current work and life situation.
All of above can be done by a professional team like psychiatrist and psychologists.

Here I would like to mention that there is lack of some information from your side like "your marital status, your profession, your past history, personal history , your social, personal and occupational disturbance in life due to above symptoms."

If any of these information might suggest that because of some excessive stress you are suffering from above described symptoms, your diagnosis can be changed to depression and treatment changed accordingly. So for your problem detail history is needed, then treating doctor can move forward for further testing like psychological testing if needed.

I have tried my best to answer your query, if still something there you want to ask, late me now.
Thanks and all best.
Regards, Dr. C.K. Solanki

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj