What causes loss of appetite and fatigue after taking Gabapentin?
If previous regimen worked and not necessary it may be stopped gradually.
I read your question carefully and I understand your.
In order to give a more confident opinion it would be useful if you provided some more information on why gabapentin was added in the first place. Since you say you were doing fine with the previous combination of drugs my logical answer would be that it can be stopped, but why did the doctor think adding gabapentin was necessary? That is important to understand in order to understand and weigh the risks and benefits of stopping gabapentin. I don't suppose a drug was added for no reason especially in someone already under several drugs acting on central nervous system.
If gabapentin is to be stopped it is to be done gradually because like many drugs acting on nervous system it has some potential for withdrawal symptoms, though less then others. Since you are on 600 mg I would reduce it by 200 mg every 2 weeks. So go to 400 mg for two weeks, then 200 mg for two more weeks and then stop it.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
If you were completely fine before then yes, it may be withdrawn. Since you’ve been on it only for 2 weeks it can be done even more quickly than I previously suggested, 400 mg for a week, then 200 mg for another week and then stop altogether.
However, I still would discuss the issue with the doctor, why did he think it necessary, there may be factors you may not be aware of, things he or people close to you have noticed which led him to introducing Gabapentin. In case there is a strong motive a middle way may be attempted, perhaps a lower dose may achieve efficacy without the side effects. Or Diazepam may be tried to be reduced, it can also lead to fatigue so it may be the combination of the two causing the fatigue rather than Gabapentin alone.
Let me know if I can further assist you.
You can stop it as I suggested above.
Thank you for the additional information.
So if I understand your correctly, the motive Gabapentin was added was the vitamin B12 deficiency diagnosis (it may cause nerve damage).
If that is the case then I agree with you, there is no motive for taking it, in particular with the side effects you describe. So you can interrupt it, you should be fine.
I hope to have been of help.
400mg qutiapin plain +8 mg Remitex is as usual. sir i am planning to take 30mg diazepam +400mg qutiapin . would be is okay? please guide me or suggest other dosage as i m rather suffering from insomnia than BIPOLAR DISORDER?THE result of stopping gabapin sr is that there is no swelling on my face and no fatigue
Thank you for the update.
I am not sure why would you want to change to Diazepam. When we started our exchange you stated that the combination of Clonazepam and Quetiapine was working well for you, so why do you want to switch to Diazepam which is same class as Clonazepam?
Even if that is to be done in the future that should be done after you have finished weaning off of Gabapentin, shouldn't make too many changes at the same time, otherwise one can't judge what is working and what is not.
For the moment if you found reducing Gabapentin increased insomnia then it should be done more gradually, by smaller steps. I had suggested dropping to 400 mg first not 300 mg as you seem to have done, 300 mg might have been too much too soon.
I hope to have been of help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I take gabapentin for frostbite
- Memory loss taking gabapentin side effects of medicine
- Can i take gabapentin after taking tums
- How to take gabapentin
- What causes appetite loss and fatigue
- What causes fatigue after hysterectomy
- Is taking gabapentin after smoking weed ok
- Taking gabapentin for back pain falling asleep what to do
- Side effects of taking gabapentin
- Taking gabapentin lead to weight gain
- What causes microvascular ischemic disease?
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches
- Can Lipitor cause brain damage?
- What causes severe migraine while on Cymbalta and Xanax?
- What are the signs and symptoms of brain aneurysm?
- What does intense pain in the temple suggest?
- What causes intense fatigue, tingling sensation in the feet and leg pain?
- What causes agitation and inappropriate sexual behavior while having...
- Suggest remedies for muscle pain, dizziness and constipation when...
- Can stress cause cyanotic discoloration on the extremities?