What causes loss of appetite and fatigue after taking Gabapentin?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: sir i m taking 2mg clonazepam +400mg Quetipin plain+8mgRemitext. it's ok for me . My doctor's son add 600mg gabapinsr.Due to this Gabapin my hunger reduced and increasefatigue and pain in my body. My I stop gabapin? how and why?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If previous regimen worked and not necessary it may be stopped gradually.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your.

In order to give a more confident opinion it would be useful if you provided some more information on why gabapentin was added in the first place. Since you say you were doing fine with the previous combination of drugs my logical answer would be that it can be stopped, but why did the doctor think adding gabapentin was necessary? That is important to understand in order to understand and weigh the risks and benefits of stopping gabapentin. I don't suppose a drug was added for no reason especially in someone already under several drugs acting on central nervous system.

If gabapentin is to be stopped it is to be done gradually because like many drugs acting on nervous system it has some potential for withdrawal symptoms, though less then others. Since you are on 600 mg I would reduce it by 200 mg every 2 weeks. So go to 400 mg for two weeks, then 200 mg for two more weeks and then stop it.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 20 minutes later
Sir 400mg quetiapin plàin 2mg clonazepam and 8mg remitex or 400mg quetiapin plain+diazepam 30 mg is also ok for me. Gabapin started since last 2 weeks. No necessity of gabapin. please guide me.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
If you were completely fine before then yes, it may be withdrawn. Since you’ve been on it only for 2 weeks it can be done even more quickly than I previously suggested, 400 mg for a week, then 200 mg for another week and then stop altogether.

However, I still would discuss the issue with the doctor, why did he think it necessary, there may be factors you may not be aware of, things he or people close to you have noticed which led him to introducing Gabapentin. In case there is a strong motive a middle way may be attempted, perhaps a lower dose may achieve efficacy without the side effects. Or Diazepam may be tried to be reduced, it can also lead to fatigue so it may be the combination of the two causing the fatigue rather than Gabapentin alone.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 21 minutes later
Sir I m taking only 400mg quetiapin plain+2mg clonazepam +8mg Remitex.it was ok for me. Due to deficiency in B12 I was given 10 injection of B12. At that time I was prescribed for Gabapin 600 mg SR with 1500mcg mytho I.e B12i want to stop gabapin 600 mg anyhow?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can stop it as I suggested above.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the additional information.

So if I understand your correctly, the motive Gabapentin was added was the vitamin B12 deficiency diagnosis (it may cause nerve damage).
If that is the case then I agree with you, there is no motive for taking it, in particular with the side effects you describe. So you can interrupt it, you should be fine.

I hope to have been of help.

Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 18 hours later
sir last night i stopped gabapin sr 300mg.withdrawal symptoms are that i have to take 1.5 mg clonazepammore than i earlier used to take 2.5mg. my other dose is
400mg qutiapin plain +8 mg Remitex is as usual. sir i am planning to take 30mg diazepam +400mg qutiapin . would be is okay? please guide me or suggest other dosage as i m rather suffering from insomnia than BIPOLAR DISORDER?THE result of stopping gabapin sr is that there is no swelling on my face and no fatigue
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the update.

I am not sure why would you want to change to Diazepam. When we started our exchange you stated that the combination of Clonazepam and Quetiapine was working well for you, so why do you want to switch to Diazepam which is same class as Clonazepam?
Even if that is to be done in the future that should be done after you have finished weaning off of Gabapentin, shouldn't make too many changes at the same time, otherwise one can't judge what is working and what is not.

For the moment if you found reducing Gabapentin increased insomnia then it should be done more gradually, by smaller steps. I had suggested dropping to 400 mg first not 300 mg as you seem to have done, 300 mg might have been too much too soon.

I hope to have been of help.