What causes lightheadedness, muscular weakness, blurred vision and fainting spells?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am 60 years of age with no known health issues. I was sitting at my desk and felt like a huge hit was delivered to my head...my vision went tunnel and sideways and then black. I was not conscious but something inside me told me to count and I remembered I got to 9 and then my tunnel vision appeared and then went away with my head down on the desk (I was sitting so I only collapsed onto the desk). No apparent symptoms of stroke that they tell one to check for.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Presyncope most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query!

Hi most likely it was presyncope. Presyncope is a state of lightheadedness, muscular weakness, blurred vision, and feeling faint Presyncope is most often cardiovascular in etiology.

I would suggest you to go for few baseline tests for cardiology like
+ Stress test-A cardiac stress test measures a heart's ability to respond to external stress any ischemia is suggested by ST-T changes on monitor.
+ 2d echo-Motion of wall of heart and cardiac output is seen.Tread mill test and 2d echo are 80% sensitive to rule out cardiac diseases.

Other system which may be involved are-
Nervous system- Decreased supply of blood to brain due to clogged carotid artery.
+Carotid artery Doppler should be done to rule out if blood supply to brain is normal.
+Electrolyte imbalance-Serum electrolytes should be checked.

Tests advised
+Serum electrolyte
+Carotid artery Doppler
+2d echo
+Tread mill test.
+MRI brain stroke protocol.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana