What causes leg pain while getting up from a sitting position?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: When I stand up after being in a sitting position for 5 minutes or more, I briefly feel discomfort in my left upper leg as I put weight on that side. As soon as I stand that discomfort stops and I don't feel it again until I sit again and stand up. No pain while walking or standing , only the first time I put weight on my leg after sitting. I have not had any back pain or other pains in that area. I occasionally get a muscle cramp during the night after being very active during the day such as mowing the lawn. I am 6' tall and weigh 197lbs
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Your symptoms do not seem to be concerning for any serious disorder.

Chronic degenerations of the coxo-femoral joint could lead to this type of problems.

From the other hand a tendon or muscular disorder can also cause similar symptoms.

I recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a coxo-femoral joint X ray study
- a lumbo-sacral spinal column X ray study (for chronic degenerations)
- muscular enzymes
- complete blood count and inflammation tests (PCR, sedimentation rate).

If all the above tests result normal, you have nothing to worry about.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 10 minutes later
Can you suggest a physical exercise that I might try before getting involved with the tests you suggest?
Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I would recommend cycling or riding a bicycle.

It can help with rotatory movements of the joint and also all the muscles and ligaments of the thigh.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri