What causes leg edema while on Prednisone?

Question
My blood vessels are very small in caliber size - one M.D. over 30 years ago stated it may have to be related to my use of 0ne year daily use of 20mg. of prednisone use. I,m age 77 years. this month.
My locate M.D. - generalist provided my medication because about every 5-6 months I have edema in my lower legs - both legs. He cannot understand the cause of my leg edema - heart, lungs, kidney's, other test are in range for my age.
I have had a short-gut ileostomy for over 43 years - do to IBD. Do you have any ideas on edema cause? I am a R.N. with a M.S. degree. - Thank you for your time.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prednisone side effects

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns . Prednisone can cause leg edema by several mechanisms which are :
1) sodium retention with the resulting edema , but in this case edema should be more generalized than confined to the lower limbs
2) venous insufficiency which occur due to incompetence of the venous valves.. In this case the edema gets worse with prolonged standing and gets better by raising the legs.. it might be accompanied by leg pain , sense of heaviness , itching , varicose viens, cramping or change of skin color..
3) hypothyroidism which can be a side effect of prolonged use of prednisone and can cause myxedema . this can be accompanied with edema of other parts of the body..
I would recommend that you take a blood test for thyroid hormonal profile including T3, T4 and TSH together with wearing a compression stockings and elevation of your legs with a pillow at night during sleep. I hope you find this helpful