What causes fluid retention and swelling in the feet for a young adult smoker?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My son is 25 years old and is a smoker. He has had now two episodes that his feet swell and it appears he has also fluid retention on his feet and after approximately 24 hours the swelling dissapates. He is less active too.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A number of possible causes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns...

Please note that this could be due to a number of causes including renal insufficiency which can be diagnosed by a urine analysis and blood test for liver functions including urea and creatinine...

Another cause is thyroid hormonal imbalance that can be diagnosed by measuring the blood level of T3, T4, and TSH. If both these causes are excluded then the swelling could be due to venous insufficiency which can be reversed by wearing compression stockings during day and elevation of your legs by a pillow during sleep...

I hope you find this helpful... Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee