• question-icon

What causes large bulge on left abdomen along with stomach cramps?

Posted on Mon, 16 May 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a tennis ball sized bulge on my left abdomen. It's not extremely uncomfortable, just feels like a mild cramp.

A few months ago I fell asleep on an airplane with it pushing against the armrest, and it completely seized up my abdomen. But that has been the only real discomfort other than a constant "tugging" feeling.

I've had it for about 3-4 years, and have had ultrasounds which did not show any growths.

What is the best course of action? Next steps? I am currently going to a massage therapist and chiropractor who have informed me that my hips are unevent, and I do have some back pain in my rear left side.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks fr your query.
To recapitulate: Male/29 - tennis ball sized bulge on left abdomen for 3-4 years - mild cramp - got pushed against armrest in a plane a few months ago - constant tugging feeling - ultrasound showed nothing - wants to know best course of actions/steps - massage therapist and chiropractor say that hips are uneven and have some back ache in rear left side.

First of all, of you are having the lump how can ultrasound miss it.
I wold advise yo the following:
Get a clinical evaluation and examination as this is important part of getting a correct diagnosis.
Watch for the following and please let me know your findings:
- Put a hand on the lump and cough hard to increase intra-abdominal pressure- see if there is an impulse on coughing, also see if you press or lye down whether the lump gets vanished? This is called reducible.
If these two signs are present, this is a hernia.
- Secondly, if this is not a hernia, then it may be a diffuse lipoma. This looks apparent by the way you have pinched up the lump. This can be easily missed by ultrasound done by less experienced sonologist.
- Muscle mass must have been picked by the Ultrasound.

- I would further advise you to consult a General Surgeon for further evaluation
and get operated if feasible. MRI and FNAC may be advised.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to give me feedback and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
I pointed the area out to the ultrasound operator and actually had two ultrasounds a year apart to ensure there was nothing there. Both times it came back with nothing.

It's slightly less visible as it's recessed a bit when laying down, it does push out a bit when coughing as does the rest of my abdominal area.

Next steps, MRI? Or should I consult a General Surgeon or other Doctor in person?

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult a General Surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
I would advise you to see a General Surgeon first as clinical examination is the best way for initial diagnosis. MRI is needed only if your Surgeon feels the necessity of it.
Please give feedback of your consultation with a General Surgeon.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon