What causes laboured breathing while standing or sitting?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: New thought, I do not remember your response to my question about breathing when you are laying down and when you are standing or sitting. I mentioned that I breathe easier when laying than when standing.

Anyway, I notice in the morning when I get up, my breathing in is limited but eases up some as I get going. It can occur again during the day. I wonder if this is related to my medication wearing off from the dose I had last taken

I have noticed that when I waken in early morning hours, I have sensations of panic hormone release. I figure the medication has worn off and I need to take a dose. Does the release of hormones stimulate me again and I need to take my meds and relax from it so I can breathe better
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lexapro has nothing to do with hormones.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Lexapro is having escitalopram.
It has nothing to do with hormones directly.
But yes, you are right about wean off phenomenon.
So please let me know
1. Dose of Lexapro
2. At what time, you are taking it?
Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 36 minutes later
I must have confused you. So sorry, I was indicating the I take lexapro and that when it wears off, the symptoms have a tendency to be more noticeable. Not that the lexapro has anything to do with them occurring, but that taking it helps my body not notice them.

The doseage is 10 mg per dose once at 5am and once at 9pm
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Why you are taking at 5 am?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
No need for sorry.
I know what's going on in patient 's mind.
Please let me know
1. Why you are taking Lexapro at 5 am?
2. Are you wake up at that time? 5 am is I guess too early.
Better to take it around 8-9 am.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 minutes later
I get up at 5am to go to work at 6 am. I will rise, take shower, get dressed, and have a cup of coffee before I leave, and watch/read news.

Your on odd hours today, Usually your replies come in later in the day for me. You must be in middle of night right now.

I take when I rise, and once before bed
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to take it at 8-9 am.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Health Care Magic.
I can understand your concern.
In my opinion, you should take it at 8-9 am. So that you feel good in the middle of the day.
And again take at 9pm. So this will cover your entire 24 hours.
And I am living in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
At present time here is 2.20 am. But due to our dance festival, I am awake at this time.
You are from which country?
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 minutes later
I am in Central USA. It is just about 4pm here right now. I am presently at work.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
So, we are having time difference of almost 10 hours.

Detailed Answer:
So we are having time difference of almost 10 hours.
This is the reason for my late response.
Are you allowed to use your phone at work place?
Where do you work?
Do you have work related stress?
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health. Thanks.
I dont really consider your responses late, I am aware of the time differences and have made considerations for when I should hear back. This is why I was able to realize that you are on odd hours right now. I am a Financial Controller/Accountant for a medium size retail Corporation. Yes I have work Stress, I have had that for years. I have considered that the work stress has grown over the years and has been one of a few big factors to my overall stress.

I have my own office line here at work. I use it along with my own Cell phone for all use. Private and Business use.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
So you are dealing with money at work place.

Detailed Answer:
So you basically deal with money.
And I guess where ever money is there, stress has to be there.
As a doctor I advice you to change your job to some place where stress factor is minimal.
Or you should continue in same office but designation is different where stress level is low.
Is it possible?
I am insisting on this because you are having atleast 20 years to live and to live it without drugs, you need to change your stress factors.
And I guess job related stress is high in you.
So please let me know, is it really possible for you to do this?
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 hours later
Money Money Money $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Greedy Ha ha ha.

I Read 20 years to live and was sad, I live day to day with hopes of long life. --- Then I reread and you said at LEAST 20. Thanks that made me feel better.

For Your Information, not sure why, but after a short nights sleep, probably like you last night, I woke feeling great. Better than I have in a long time.!!!!!!!

You Mention Stress Factors?, I have had a bit of time lately to think of the stress in my 56 years. What I have realized is that I have lived a life of more stress and anxiety than I think the average person does/has. I never noticed it until I considered the way my life has been.

It has been in personal life, work/career life/ social life, religious life. My childhood was stressful, teen years, young adult, middle age, and now as I turn the corner to upper years. I have overlooked or hid my stress well. I know that smoking has a relaxing effect on the body and I believe that I was in some form of control while I smoked. Once I quit, I started losing that effect and now have let the contributing factors to compound. I will never ever ever ever ever go back to smoking but I must find that point of relaxing again to find that happy time.
I too do not want to remain on medicine so I must do something more than what I have been doing
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to try yoga and pranayam.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your situation and problem.
Problems are part of life. We have to make priority in our life,Whether to go for money or for happiness.
So avoid stress and tension, be relax and calm.
Take Lexapro timely.
Don't worry, you will be alright.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.