What causes joint pain and brain fog post orgasm?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi
I have a peculiar problem after orgasam. having joint pain brain fog. not able to walk not able breath burning sensarion all over body extreme fatigue. I have tested for thyroid., calcium, phosphor, b12, costisol and testosterone too. everything is normal. when I Googled I got to know about POIS. when I checked with doctor he said it could be due to neuro transmiter imbalance.

Is there any lab to test neurotransmitter. ...?

Regard s
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Regarding your specific question on lab tests for neurotransmitter, I am afraid it is more complicated than you think. There is not one single neurotransmitter, there are several of them. Furthermore their effect is not only dependent on the neurotransmitter type but also on the receptor where it acts, different cells in different brain areas can have different types of receptors. So the same neurotransmitter can act in different ways in different brain areas. It is a very complicated system, involving millions of cells forming an intricate network affected by neurotransmitters, there is actually still a lot that modern science has to learn on that regard.
So the answer to the lab test question is unfortunately no, neurotransmitter release happens inside the brain, so as you can imagine we can not open the skull and take brain samples that easily. And we do not know any reference normal levels anyway.
I am not saying that the doctor is wrong, neurotransmitter imbalance is thought to be behind many issues, starting from most common ones like anxiety and depression to rarer ones like your case.

Regarding POIS, it is a syndrome which is being more and more recognized and it could very well be your case. Unfortunately there is not one single approved treatment. Several medications have been tried. You could try using Indomethacine 50 mg 30-60 minutes before the sexual intercourse. In some patients a beta-blocker in a low dose such as propranolol 40mg may be beneficial before the intercourse as well, but should consult with your doctor before as it slows heart rhythm so if you have heart issues may cause side effects.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 12 minutes later
I have been tested for folic acid and am deficiency in folic acid but not animic. is there any relationship between pois and folic acid. and POIS is something like sexual exhaustion...? feeling pathetic about my situation
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I understand your frustration in front of this issue, shouldn't feel bad about it because it is being considered more and more common.

To date there is no known hypothesis to link it to folic acid deficiency, so I do not think that to be the case.

The word exhaustion is not accurate, it is not a question of exhausting ones sources if that is what you have in mind. While its nature is not fully cleared there are several theories. Chemical neurotransmitter imbalance as we mentioned is one of them. Hormone imbalance is another one, although your tests would speak against that in your case. There are also hypothesis of autoimmune reactions of the body towards cytokines released during the sexual act (hence the suggestion of using anti-inflammatories like Indomethacine) or even towards own semen.

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 7 hours later
Thanks for ur reply....
any surgery will help in pois...?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:
No, certainly not, that is out of the question.

Surgery is done to remove a well identified and targeted cause, in this case as I said there are hypothesis not a clear cause.

Furthermore those theories deal with changes at a biochemical microscopic level, not something which can be operated.

Only scenario would be some hormonal imbalance due to a hormone secreting tumor, but your tests came back normal.

Wishing you good health