What causes itchy swelling at the base of the neck?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My left should/back and base of the neck feels swollen like it had a Bee sting and itches at times.
it comes and goes but it definitely feels different from the right side .
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be nerve related.

Detailed Answer:
The intermittent feeling of swelling and itching at the back of the neck could be due to a mild nerve root irritation. This can be related to cervical spondylosis or diabetes. This can also be related to low levels of vitamin B12. Having proper methylcobalamin supplements after consulting a physician can help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
I received a B12 and vitamin D shot on my left arm 2 days prior to the symptoms .
Could this be related? Methylcobalamin ? Should this go away in time?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not related to shots.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
This is not related to the shots you received. The symptoms should subside gradually.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.