What causes itchy sores on the scalp with red and white patches on the elbow?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2018 in Cancer
Question: I am scheduled for total hip replacement on my right hip then knee replacement on my left knee. I started having itching and sores on my scalp and now have red and white patches on my left elbow. My surgeon is amazed how fast my right hip has deteriorated. Also, my surgery was held up because I was enemic, but it was discovered I had colon cancer. I have had surgery for the cancer and am now released for hip surgery. I have not told my surgeon about my scalp and elbow, but researching tonight makes me think I have more going on. What do you think?

Answered by Dr. Monish De 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Apply ointment soframycin locally and do blood test for CEA 6 monthly

Detailed Answer:

It is good that you had surgery for your colon cancer and it was detected early.

As you are scheduled for total hip replacement on your right hip then knee replacement on your left knee but now having itching and sores on your scalp and red and white patches on your left elbow I think there is nothing to worry.

These are just minor things and could be a bacterial infection.

You can apply a good antibiotic ointment like Soframycin. framycetin sulphate ointment which is available in the market in the name of Soframycin locally.

For itching, you can take tablet Avil once daily after food for 5 days with your doctors advise.

You can go ahead with your operation.

Since you have a history of colon cancer you must do 6 monthly CT scan of the whole abdomen along with blood test for colon tumour marker carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA).

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 14 hours later
I have been doing some research on my symptoms and am wondering if I might have psoriatic arthritis. Depression, joint pain and damage, anemia, scaly sores on head and elbows are all signs of this condition and I have all of these. It has now been a couple of years that I have been suffering from many of these symptoms. Also, my aunt and sister have been diagnosed with lupus and my aunt with sceladema which are autoimmune diseases as is psoriatic arthritis. I have not felt good for years and really would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Monish De 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Blood tests to check signs of inflammation in your body

Detailed Answer:

The typical symptoms of psoriatic arthritis can cause a painful sausage like swelling of your fingers and toes.

You may also develop swelling and deformities in your hands and feet before having significant joint symptoms.

It can also cause pain at the points where tendons and ligaments attach to your bones especially at the back of your heel or in the sole of your foot.

It can also cause low back pain.

A number of tests may be carried out to help confirm a diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis

There are blood tests to check for signs of inflammation in your body and the presence of certain antibodies found in other types of arthritis

You can also do x rays or scans of your joints

The condition can be treated by corticosteroids which can help reduce pain and swelling.

So I would advise you to do the above-mentioned tests with your doctors advise to rule out psoriatic arthritis.

But I do not think you are suffering from this autoimmune disease condition.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Monish De, Oncologist