What causes itchy sores around the clitoris?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: hi , i have been having this itch that hurts when i scratch around my clitoris. i've checked myself to see what it was and i saw a red line on the side of it and one on the other side almost like i itched so hard it created a irritated scar. I don't know if i've created this or i have an infection. I have only been sexually active with one person and he doesn't have any diseases or infections.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This sounds like inflammation of the skin, most likely yeast

Detailed Answer:
The most likely explanation for vulvar skin (that includes the area up around the clitoris) is related to a yeast infection of the skin. This would be associated with itching and variably a discharge noticeable in the skin folds.

This could be treated over the counter with a yeast cream such as Monistat. One could apply Monistat superficially a few times per day and use hydrocortisone cream for the itching.

Like I said, that is the most likely explanation. It will be made worse by tight-fitting clothes and overuse of anti-bacterial soaps.

Does this help?
Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
yes! this helped lot thank you for the advice!
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are very welcome

Detailed Answer:
I wish you the best of luck!
Dr. Tim