What causes itchy rashes on hand causing swelling?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a rash on both my hands that is extremely itchy and my hands are swollen. Do you know what the cause could be?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Allergy, take benadryl!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this itchy rash and the swelling. This is suggestive of an allergy. The cause is probably something new that you got exposed to. It may be part of your make up box, an insect bite, the woods, grass, etc. To identify the cause, you would need to review you recent activities to identify what new you used, any visits to new places or any new stuffs that you tried out using both hands. The cause is not always identifiable unless it recurs that we can be able to relate to something specific.

Treatment consists in taking an antihistamine drug like benadryl, zyrtec, chlorphenamine, etc. as recommended by your pharmacist. This will stop the itching, swelling and hasten healing.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.