What causes ischemic feeling like pain in right hand?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: Am having ischemic feeling pain in right hand. Woke me last night. Relieved after 30 minutes with warm shower. Woke me again 3 hours later. Improved during day but noticed mild swelling in right hand. Received MMR and Polio vaccines 2 weeks ago. Used post hole digger 1 week ago. Am diabetic. Type frequently during day. Woke me again tonight and is not clearing. So severe considering going to ER. Noticed pain in peripheral joints during last week and mild swelling first in left knee, then in right that cleared p24-72 hrs.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suspect a number of conditions, arthritis and osteoarthritis on top

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. You have been exhibiting an arthritic pattern which will require confirmation and possibly even treatment with medications, but this is not emergent.

As for the right arm pain this could also be caused due to arthritis or osteoarthritis sir. But there are many other causes and they include:

+Carpal tunnel syndrome
+Cardiac causes/angina: Although not typically associated with right arm pain, I would still like to rule them out with the help of an EKG (ECG)
+Tennis elbow
+Injuries to the bone
+Rheumatoid arthritis
+Diabetic neuropathy: If your blood glucose profile has been poor off late or for quite some time now, then this is also a possibility
+Vitamin B12 deficiency: A deficiency in vitamin B12 can cause an ischemic like feeling and pain as this nutrient is responsible for the health of blood vessels.
and a few others.

I would suggest a visit to a doctor to check on your RA factor, CRP, ESR, serum vitamin B12, x-ray of the region, EKG, HbA1c and complete diabetic profile, and of course a physical examination by a doctor.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Shoaib Khan

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 9409 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Hba1c

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from dehydration for a month and a half. The problem is when I get fluids from the ER, it comes back again because I have...

doctor1 MD

My Father has been gone through the medical health check-up.I need your input over the attached reports.Mainly i want to know the health of the...

doctor1 MD

Can I reverse a possible chance that I have Typ 2 diebetties ?

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

196 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction