Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

What causes irritation an buring of frictional ulcers on penis and could it be herpes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I have what a few doctors think are frictional ulcers on my penis. They came on Friday and a smell came from the area suggesting an infection. The ulcers did not start as blisters and are painless. However, I was given an antibiotic and tonight is the first time the area is sensitive and stings. So from Friday till know the area has not stung or hurt. Is this my body and the infection reacting to medication or does mean they are more likely herpes?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Details below Detailed Answer: hi, Lesions of herpes genitalis present as small grouped fluid filled lesions that rupture to form small superficial erosions. Herpes lesions are painful. So your lesions are possibly not of herpes genitalis. Application of medicine in an erosion can cause burning or irritation in affected area If these are frictional ulcers that have got infected, then just clean the area with warm saline water and apply a topical antibiotic cream like fusidic acid or mupirocin. Also take an oral antibiotic for few days. Refrain from sexual contact till these lesions heal. If having any doubt, meet a dermatologist nearby to get these lesions clinically examined. Sexually transmitted infection can only be ruled out by clinical examination and appropriate blood investigations. Hope this helped. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor