What causes intermittent pain around the surgical incision of abdominal surgery?
Thanks for your query.
To recapitulate: Male/82 - lipoma from small bowel removed several years ago - intermittent pain - *sensitivity around surgical incision - self treated with OTC anesthetic - now gotten worse and spreading to more area on abdomen - Primary care MD does not why - referred to Plastic Surgeon - Operating Surgeon feel this to be phantom pain - no blisters, sore, fever - shingles vaccine - followed by other Doctors for side branch IPMN - Want to know the reasons...
From the elucidate description the possibilities are:
- Nerve entrapment at the incision in the abdominal wall with formation of sort of granuloma that becomes more sensitive with or even without stimulation.
This can be simply tested by giving local/intra-lesional anesthetic and if the pain is abolished, proves the diagnosis. Multiple sessions can pin-point the area and can then be explored, excision of the offending part done and may get permanent relief.
Nerve sedatives oral tablets can also be tried, needs a prescription.
- Another remote possibility is of a small incisional hernia that is pressing on nerve/s and causing the symptoms. This can be found on the local examination by a Doctor and high resolution ultrasound examination of the abdominal wall con confirm whether there is hernia or not. Might have been found by this time in your case.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel there is a gap of communication.
I was just wondering about - Lastly, for several years now, I have been followed by other doctors for side branch IPMN. Please elucidate.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes intermittent chest pain and back pain
- What could be the cause for intermittent abdominal pain
- What is the cause of sharpintense and intermittent abdominal pain
- Abdominal surgeries painful was on narcotics what can be done
- What causes intermittent stomach pain and anxiety
- What is the cause for intermittent chest pain
- Shoulder pain after abdominal surgery
- What causes intermittent pulsing dull pain in knee
- What could be cause of intermittant lower quadrant pain
- What can cause intermittent sharp pain in chest