What causes inner ear pain and itchy outer ear?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 17 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Inner ear pain and itch with outer ear sensitivity to touch as well. Nurse practitioner at dr office today removed compacted wax using tool following warm water irrigation. Why still sore?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Some amount of pain and irritation is expected after removing wax from the ear. Sometimes there is some injury to the ear canal when the wax is being removed , that results in pain later. But this pain will be for a short time.. less than a day.

Do not worry about it. keep your ears dry and do not try to clean your ear canal with buds.

If the pain continues then please see your ENT doctor to rule out infection.

Feel free to follow up,
Dr Rajkishori Godhi MS ENT
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E