What causes increased seizure frequency?

Dr. Shiva Kumar R

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Thanks for your answer to our previous question. Unfortunately, I couldn't follow-up with you because of the situations we were in. My son's seizure frequency has increased and we were trying to cope with that.

Today, I would like you to take a look at the videos of our little ones seizure and analyze it to help us understand what kind of seizures he is having. Although, his EEG has been showing generalized discharges, we think it may not be the case.

His medication keppra (4mL twice a day) is not working - at least so far.

I am working with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on a different thread (http://goo.gl/GgfvtJ), but I would like to get a second opinion as we have an upcoming Neurologist appointment here and would like to bring-up your precious inputs with the doctors here, so that my son gets right diagnosis and medications.

My Son's Seizure looks as follows (please see both the videos) :
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV4N5Yi8IhE
The Stare begins @ 16:46:34 and ends @ 16:46:45.
Cry/Shout begins @ 16:46:45 and ends @ 16:46:55
Tonic Phase begins @ 16:46:56 and ends @ 16:47:18

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oszyHszgzws

Also, I am working on getting complete EEG from the doctors here and will be able to share with you soon. But His discharges show-up only during sleep. Could it be BECT?
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Hello and thanks for writing back to me

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I appreciate your concern about your son.

Sorry to hear about your son increased seizure frequency. All his seizures look like complex partial seizures evolving in to grandmal seizures. EEG is likely to shows generalized discharges. I recommend video-EEG for confirmation of type of epilepsy and kind of epilepsy syndrome. If keppra is not working we need to consider other medications based on the information we obtain from Video-EEG. Often discharges in the EEG are seen more in sleep than day. BECT can have this EEG patterns. However clinical profile and EEG discharges do not favor BECT.

So for now continue Keppra and discuss these issues personally with Dr XXXXXXX for further management.

I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Epileptologist & Neurologist XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak