What causes hip pain while jogging?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi, I am 55 year old , male, having hip pain for last 3 months. I feel it increases after my jogging. I am a diabetic and I am on medication xyz ....

test question from XXXXXXX - do not answer it please or only internal doctors.
Answered by Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibilities range from arthritis to injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for coming to HealthCareMagic.

Sorry to hear about your hip pain. Normally these kinds of running pains are caused by minor injuries due to running style and stress injures.

But before we narrow it down to that likelihood. Lets try and understand the pain a bit more and find out what we can do to address it.

The first thing that needs to be done is ruling out an injury. If the pain worsens with running and gets better with rest.. then muscular injury is a possibility. The best way to rule this out is to get it looked at by a physician. If you don't want to do that next.. I would suggest resting your leg for 3-4 days and then jogging lightly.. to see if the pain reoccurs. If it does.. you will need to get a doctor to see it and take it from there.

If it's not an injury causing it.. then it could be ligament strain or shin splints... They all feel quite different from each other.. So could you describe the pain for me a bit more? Burning? Biting? Deep aches, etc? Where on the leg does the pain happen?

In the meantime. Try and make sure your running shoes are appropriate for your feet. Some people run and transfer the energy of the running through different parts of the sole of the foot. For example, if you are flat footed.. then the arch transfers most of the energy.. This means that the arch needs more cushioning.. On the other hand if you run on your heels mostly.. then the heel needs more.

The best place to check this out is to go to a good sports store with knowledgeable professionals and have them watch you walk or run.. they can identify your running style and find the right shoes for you.

Finally for short term management of the pain.. you can take Over the counter pain killers like Acetaminophen / Paracetamol or Ibuprofen. These should be enough. Remember to hydrate well after taking such meds... also , if you have any kidney, liver or bleeding issues.. then you should consult with your doctor before taking any medication.. even the Over the counter ones.

So there you go. Some initial thoughts, The more information you can give me regarding the nature of the pain.. the better I will be able to help you. I look forward to your response.

Vinay

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj

Neurologist, Surgical