What causes high blood pressure after pregnancy?

Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz

Posted on Mon, 7 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: I was put on Labetolol last month and was diagnosis with a left bundle branch block. They performed an angiogram to check for artery issues. All test were fine. I never had a blood pressure issue until after having a baby.My blood pressure has been fine since taking the Labetolol and my pressure has been controled. However the last few days it has been elevated and I don't know why. I haven't had a lot of sodium intake. Pressure has been 140/90 and as high as. 150/100. What should I do? What could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 2 hours later
Brief Answer: High blood pressure Detailed Answer: Hello, Delighted to be able to help. High blood pressure after pregnancy is a frequent problem. Besides sodium intake, there are various factors that may increase blood pressure. However, to say you that the increase in blood pressure in the last days is not worrisome because the increase is very slight(150/100). The prescription of your doctor (labetalol) is right,if your blood pressure continue above 140/90, your doctor should consider increasing the dose of Labetalol. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer. I wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T