What causes high PSA level?
I have a friend in the merchant navy who had gone for his medicals prior to joining on board a ship.The medicals found that his PSA is above 7.1 when it should be less than 4.Kindly what does this indicate?
What are the causes for this?is it curable by medications or surgery needed?if medication can cure this than how long would it require?Last how serious is it and would you advise a second opinion be taken or the test repeated.
Please compare PSA with value obtained last time and get evaluated
Thanks for writing in.
I have read your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. It is important to keep in mind the age (53 years) and last PSA test report of your friend (not available). What is important is to see how much is the rise in PSA since the last time he took the test. If the rise is more than 2.0 ng/ ml then he should get evaluated in detail.
2. Normal PSA is less than 4 ng/ ml and 4 to 10 ng/ ml is the intermediate and observation range. Above 10 ng/ ml is the high risk range.
3. PSA can also be increased due to infection in the prostate and he must be asked if he has any infections and then PSA can be repeated 3 months after giving treatment.
4. Doing other tests like free PSA percentage and a prostate ultrasound might also be required.
5. In conclusion, repeating the test after 3 months is important.
If it is due to infection then taking treatment will restore it to normal level after 3 months.
If he does not have any infection in prostate and if the last test result was in normal range range when done a year or more earlier then he has to take a second opinion and get further tests like ultrasound and free PSA percentage done after consulting the urologist. Repeating the test after 3 months is important.
Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of high psa levels
- Causes for rising psa levels
- What causes psa to rise
- Elevated psa levels causes
- Can uti cause high psa
- Does masturbation cause a high psa
- Can prostatitis cause high psa
- Medications that can cause high psa levels
- High psa levels caused from stress
- What causes rise in psa level