What causes hiccups soon after laughing?
Age - 6 months
it is normal don't worry
Thanks for writing to us.
Hiccups are very common in babies especially preterm babies.
The reason is that the diaphragm gets suddenly stimulated because of changes in abdominal pressure with laughing.
No need to worry. Usually no treatment is required.
However if hiccups increase or become more trouble some it is better to get him checked completely to rule out Reflux.
Preterm babies do tend to have some amount of muscle weakness in the gastrointestinal sphincter resulting in Reflux.
This can be easily treated with medicines like domperidone.
Wishing your child good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes hiccups after surgery
- What is the cause and treatment for hiccups
- What is the cause for frequent hiccups
- What causes hiccups persistent hiccups
- What causes recurring hiccups in children
- What is the causes for hiccups in old people
- Hiccup causes
- What causes hiccups during sleep
- Suffering from hiccups what is causing this and treatment
- Cause of hiccups after colonoscopy