What causes heavy menstrual bleeding with long duration?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: im 47 ive been bleeding for over a month...enough to use a tampon went to the dr...going blood work, pap.sonogram and biopsy within a week....but tonight i was at dinner and felt a release ...felt with my hand and there was blood on it ...immediately stood up and i had bled through my thick sweat
pants and there was even blood on the ground... when i got to a bathroom there was clot substance in the toilet...whats going on!?
im not in pain..or infected....
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
The presence of clot indicates that you are having heavy bleeding.

The common reasons for heavy bleeding around this age are:
1. Hormonal imbalance
2. endometrial hyperplasia- ultrasound / biopsy of lining of uterus can detect this
3. Fibroids - ultrasound can detect this
4. Endometrial polyp- most often detected by ultrasound.
5. Deficiency of thyroid hormones.
5. Cervical polyp- sometimes a large polyp can cause such heavy bleeding. When you visited your doctor did she do internal examination ? It would have been detected with that. So I do not think you have this problem.
Have you been regular with your Pap tests before? What was the result?
In addition to the above tests mentioned by your doctor get biopsy of lining of uterus ( endometrial biopsy ) and thyroid hormone tests done. These test results will guide regarding the treatment you need.
If the bleeding is still heavy please visit ER.
The doctor will prescribe medicines to reduce bleeding.
Do start taking iron with multivitamins to prevent anaemia.
I hope this helps.
If you have further concerns do write to me. I will be happy to answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN