What causes heavy bleeding from the nose?

Dr. Deepashree

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 65 year old husband has sporadic bloody noses. Right now it is bleeding readily & is very red blood
Answered by Dr. Deepashree 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
epistaxis for evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for your query. As your husband is bleeding heavily, first holds his nose tight. Put ice pack on the dorsum of nose. Check his bp. Put ortrivin or xylometazoline nasal drops 3 drops thrice times a day. Bleeding will stop immediately. Then please consult the doctor and get evaluated. Keeping his age in concern , hypertension may be the cause. There are other bleeding disorders also which needs evaluation. I would suggest you to consult with the doctor and get evaluated. Hope my answers have helped you. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy