What causes headache, tiredness and redness of eyes in children?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 8 year old son is complaining of headache since he returned from school today . Checked his temparature . It is around 99.8 . Eyes are slightly red and tired . Please advise any medication .
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like viral illness is starting

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

I feel that this could be starting stage of a viral illness. Initially it will start with headache and redness of eyes followed by fever. I will tell you how a viral illness behaves so that you will be more confident in managing your kid for the next few days.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.

Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

If you can get back to me with the recent weight of your kid, then I will suggest you the appropriate dose of Paracetamol.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj