What causes green stool in a child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: My baby daughter born on 23rd October (Premature birth) at 28weeks & 6 days having weight of 3.8kgs. as of now. She is on "Nan Pro-1" diet as of now. No Breast feeding. From couple of weeks she is passing green colour stool. I am attaching the Stool Routine report of her. Is the report is ok or we have something to worry about.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Passing green coloured stool is normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. It is normal for a baby of this age to pass green coloured motion.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

I have a few questions for you, revert back to me with answers so that I can guide you better.

Questions -

1. Is the baby passing stools immediately after feeds?

2. Is the baby dull and lethargic?

3. How is the baby's urine output?

4. Are you using bottle for feeding the baby?

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 21 minutes later
Thank you for your response.

Answers for your queries are as below:'

1. Is the baby passing stools immediately after feeds? :
Answer: No, she do not pass stools immediately after feed.

2. Is the baby dull and lethargic?
Answer : No she is pretty Active

3. How is the baby's urine output?
Answer: She is passing urine regularly, very light yellow color.

Answer: Yes we are using bottle for feeding the baby.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be a viral diarrhea - Suggestions given

Detailed Answer:
Hi....It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea.

Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 0.5ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment.

If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your Paediatrician as this is a prescription drug).

Regarding diet - Continue the formula which ever you are giving now. If possible try to avoid bottle feeding and feed with spoon or paladey.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj