What causes green stool and constipation when diagnosed with a UTI?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can a UTI cause dark green stool? I'm currently on macrobid for a UTI and seem to have some constipation and dark green stool. I also had the stomach flu a month ago.I should add I was on cipro for 3 days but it did nothing. They then switched me to macrobid for 5 days (skipping day 3 but not by choice)I should add I was on cipro for 3 days but it did nothing. They then switched me to macrobid for 5 days (skipping day 3 but not by choice)
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
More likely due to the antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Usually dark green stool is not concerning (as opposed to bloody or black tarry or clay colored stools). I think it is unlikely that the UTI is causing the stool color change and more likely that the antibiotic (or antibiotics) have affected the color.

A UTI that is uncomplicated, meaning it is a bladder infection only, does not affect the gastrointestinal tract. The antibiotics, however, can. Since you have been on 2 antibiotics, it would be a good idea to take a probiotic if you haven't already. Take it for the remainder of the course of antibiotic and for at least 1 week after. Try not to take the probiotic within an hour or two before or after taking the antibiotic.

Antibiotics can alter the normal flora of bacteria that live in the bowel. This can cause diarrhea, constipation, or gas. A probiotic can help restore the normal balance and may help the constipation.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.