What causes fordyce spots on lips?

Dr. Hardik Pitroda

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Ive had this for a few days with no other symp. Got tested for hsv but the blood and culter will take 3 days. they thought it wad a bac infect. Thoughts?

Theres nothing going on inside my mouth. But they gave me valtrex and amaox. Just looking for another opinion. These are tinny bumbs most seem like maybe inflamed tissue. They do not pop.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No obvious abnormality detected

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting on HCM. From keen review of your photographs, I think there is nothing to worry as I cannot see any sign of herpes labialis or herpes zoster and moreover I dont think there is any bacterial infection. As such your oral cavity and lips seems pretty normal to me.
Still, for better understanding I would want you to exactly pin-point the sites in oral cavity which you think may be the sites of affliction.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 11 minutes later
There are little circles. The sides are sensitive and somewhat inflamed. White in color. See additional photo. This is not normal for my lips. And it is sore.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fordyce spots-No active treatment required

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thank you for sending other pictures.
I have reviewed the pictures and the 'white dots' which you are concerned about are nothing but Fordyce spots. Fordyce spots are nothing but a variation of normal sebaceous glands(the glands that normally produce sebum).
Sometimes Fordyce spots cause anxiety but they are completely harmless whether on the lips or on the genitals. They are not a sexually transmitted disease and they are not infectious.

Fordyce spots are generally harmless and do not require any treatment. Avoid picking or squeezing the spots. For mild irritation I would suggest you to apply a good lip balm.
If there is lot of cosmetic concern I would suggest you to get them removed with electrocautery or laser by a certified dermatologist.
Other reported treatments for Fordyce spots include chemical cauterization with Trichloracetic acid, photodynamic therapy, micro-punch excision surgery and oral isotretinoin.

Let me know if you require any more assistance from my side.
Thank you
Dr Hardik Pitroda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Pitroda 3 hours later
Why fi they tingle and the skin feel sensitive?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Pitroda 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fordyce spots

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Fordyce spots can sometimes become irritated due to friction, or food or cosmetics etc and thus can lead the feeling you are currently having.
Also sometimes because of vitamin B and folic acid deficiency such symptoms are possible.
Thus I would suggest you to apply a good lip balm thrice a day.
Additionally apply hydrocortisone cream if there is excessive irritation.
Take oral vitamin B complex and folic acid rich tablets for few weeks.
I am sure you will be fine with this regimen.
Thanks and take care
Dr Hardik Pitroda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T