What causes fluctuating blood pressure levels?

Posted on Mon, 8 Dec 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Sir
my age 30....male...bp fluctuates around 150/95....no medications bring it down
..excess sweating
..get fatigued easily
though well built ...but muscles soft nd a bit obese..(hgt..182 cm...wght 86 kgs)

cholesterol,blood sugar etc …....normal
ecg.....left ventricular hypertrophy
echo.....normal
no adrenal mass
renal angiography ..normal
My ambulatory bp readings: if awake and active....160/100, if awake nd rest.....145/95,..rest and sleep at night...in early morning...100/55

though I m preparing for competitive examinations now...but I have been through such readings for last 6-7 yrs even when I was not under any stress..
please suggest me course of action to be followed......
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please confirm blood pressure at rest only.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
It is not clear if you are taking Telma (40mg) 40mg (Telmisartan) now and then the blood pressure reading is 145/ 95 mm Hg.

If you are taking the above medication then you must get your blood pressure measured in the most appropriate clinical method and then take the average reading.

The blood pressure must be recorded after at least 30 minutes physical and mental rest and at the same time for 3 subsequent days. It should be recorded using the same machine and by the same person. The machine should be kept at heart level.

If the blood pressure recorded by above method is still 145/ 95 mm Hg then you must first try to remain stress free and reduce salt in diet. Having a healthy diet and fitness plan will help.

Since Cholesterol, Echocardiography, Renal angiography and blood sugar are normal, there is no other risk factor other than the high blood pressure.

It is important to know if the anxiety is causing a false high blood pressure even at rest. Sometimes the machine can also give 5 to 10 percent error and that has also to be clarified.

The morning temperature is acceptable. A persistent blood pressure recording 145/ 95 mm Hg even with medication at young age should be certainly evaluated in detail. This has to be done with a cardiologist and under continuous supervision. Any change in medication requires complete clinical examination.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist