What causes fever, chills and body pain after a colonoscopy?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a colonoscopy on wed march 30th was sedated and Thurs I started with fever, chills and just feeling plain awful have had a fever on and on since what would cause this thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
inflammatory response or infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Fever is part of the body's inflammatory response, it occurs as a result of release of certain chemicals in the body.
This chemical release can occur as a result of trauma or infection most commonly.

This means that the fever can be due to: (a) the inflammatory response from procedure, in this case where fever occurs for this reason, anti pyretic meds
(antifever meds) such as the tylenol that you are using, is the main treatment

(b)fever can also be indicative of infection
In your case, infection in the bowel where trauma occurred or a coincidental infection such as cough cold or flu. This would be more likely if you have GI symptoms such as abnormal bowel movements, blood in the stool, abdominal pain, vomiting.

Coincidental infection would mean that an infection was brewing but the symptoms only presented after procedure but have noting to do with it.

Infections usually have a incubation period, this is the time from exposure to development of symptoms, it can vary according to the infection present.
It is possible that your were exposed to the infection but the symptoms only showed at this point after the incubation period passed.

This is the most likely cause.

The use of tylenol is appropriate along with cool clothing and tepid sponging

If the fever continues beyond 5 days or it is worsening or there are associated GI symptoms , it would be best to see your doctor

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions