• question-icon

What causes fatigue and excessive sleepiness in a diabetic?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had sepsis in 2015. Are there any lingering aftereffects? My Temp went up to 105. I am seventy and have diabetes. I had to have one artificial knee taken out and then replaced. I am questioning if my constant sleepiness and fatigue may be a possible result of the sepsis.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No!

Detailed Answer:

Sepsis wouldn't have caused any lingering effects up to date. If no organ was damaged then, then it cannot be damaged today as a result of the sepsis. Remember, most infections are actually sepsis but we do not get lingering consequences. How many hours do you sleep a day? How tired are you? These may be suggestive of low thyroid function and you may want to get this checked out by measuring the TSH levels.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 26 minutes later
Initially, I was in the hospital for five days, which I don't recall. I was delirious, pulling out my IV's and oxygen and requiring thickener to drink fluids (my daughter told me this) After my knee was taken out, and a spacer put in, I was sent to therapeutic care unit I began waking up there. My leg was in an immobilizer until the infection went down enough to put a new knee in. i slept a lot. I still sleep a lot I take naps and fall asleep in front of the tv. I am having a sleep study done. I take a very minimal dose of thyroid medication. I just wondered. Thanks for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check with doctor on dose of thyroid. Share sleep study findings with me!

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for these additional details. I suggest your doctor reviews your medications to make sure the dosage is okay. He may also want to double check the TSH. I will appreciate if you could share your sleep study findings with me for further review and comments.

I wish you well and hope to hear from you!
Dr. Ivo Ditah