What causes fat and hard stomach post a hernia surgery?

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Fri, 18 Mar 2016 in General Health
Question: I had emergency surgery in mid November for a twisted intestine caused by several surgical hernias. The incision is 6" above my naval down to my hairline. The bowel was untwisted and the surgeon put in a large piece of mesh under the muscle. Two weeks after I got home my belly got really huge. I look 9 months pregnant and my belly is very hard. I have seen the surgeon and he suggested plastic surgery in a couple of years but this is not right. I have a picture if you need it? What do you think I should do?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is incisional hernia

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing.

I am Dr.Muhammad Ahmad. I have read your question completely, i understand your concern and will try to help you in best way possible.

I have seen the picture...this is incisional hernia of abdomen...

There is no real cure of this problem orher than surgery, Some supportive products can be used like abdominal bands, these can support the abdomen and stops the increase in size of the hernia but definie treatment is only surgical.

I would suggest you to discuss with your doctor about the surgery meanwhile use abdominal band to help you with cosmatic issue, plus it will also support your abdomen and stop increase in size of the hernia.

I hope this answered your question, a
if you have more please feel free to ask.

Regrads.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.

M.B.B.S(Licensed Family Physician)
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 hour later
No i had the hernia repaired. The surgeon used mesh and told me he put it under the muscle because it worked better that way. My stomach was not out like the picture when I came home from surgery. This started about two weeks after I came home. So why would that happen?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mesh disfunction can be there.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for writing back,

mesh is put there to contain abdominal contents within the abdomen but you abdomen swell up recently, there is a big chance that it is disfunction of mesh I would encourage you to talk to your operating surgeon or the incharge surgeon about the possible cause
certain tests like ultrasound can be done to see the problem.

Re.adjustment of mesh can be an option but better option will be sorted out after meeting and discussing with your attending.

For the time being abdominal binders/bands is the best option to help with cosmatic issues and increase in size of the swelling

regards.
Dr.Muhammad Ahmad.