What causes facial and lip swelling?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a fair skin caucassian from XXXXXXX visiting Hawaii. Our first day I got sunburn, and the second day we were out on a boat for 5 hours. I used SPF 50 but the next morning I woke up and had a swollen face and lower lip. Today it seems the forehead is less swollen but now I look Asian. Is this an allergic reaction (no known allergies) or changing affects of sunburn?Could this be an adverse effect of sea water?
I am waiting for a response. I did not see any emails with solutions. Please call 0000
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get the medical help

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HCM.

I can understand your concern.

As you explain the situation it might be an an allergic reaction due to the sun.It is a known allergy.
If the the next day you feel worse better to seek medical help in ER.The doctor will probably apply to you an antiallergic medication (antihistamins or corticosteroids depending from your situation)
Usually it pass for two or three days but we have to be sure for late reaction of allergies.

Feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana