• question-icon

What causes extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, leg weakness and cold symptoms?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Infections
Question: On May 27,I experienced Extreme Fatique, Shortness of breath, Weakness in legs and cold-like symptoms.
On May I waw a Phy. Assistant because my reg. Dr. was out of town. She had me get Blood work which showed nothing out of the ordinary. XXXXXXX 10, I still have Fatique, and Extrem weakness in legs. XXXXXXX 11-Sharp pain on left side of head and weakness in legs and fatique. I have also been sick in stomach about a dozen times in two weeks. I live in a Lyme disease area and suspected that. I was given a Lyme Disease AB IGG and Lyme Disease AB IGM which came out Neg. but in the new issue of Prevention Mag. an article on Lyme disease states that a test can be Neg. and still have Lyme disease.
I would appreciate any information so I could find out what is the matter. I have also been eating salads at 3 different resturants and suspected a food borne disease of some kind. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take ORS, citrus fruits. Get your thyroid profile checked.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me tell you that medicine is a field where practically everything is possible. It can be possible to have Lyme's disease even though tests do not indicate so but I do not think that you should get anxious that you have such a condition. In any case you have already received the IgG and so you have a reasonable level of immunity and do not need to worry.

I would insist you to increase total fluid (water) intake and to take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts. Take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles. Also get your thyroid profile checked.

As such you could also have a viral infection. In such a scenario the tests remain inconclusive. Irrespective of treatment, the viral infections are self limiting and usually resolve in a week or so. Taking paracetamol or acetaminophen should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha