What causes excessive thirst?

Dr. Pankaj Borade

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i have excessive thirst. I drink at least 5 glass of water every 5 mins or so. is that normal
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Borade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need to investigate

Detailed Answer:
dear,
welcome to HCM.
Your symptoms are clearly suggestive of increase in thirst as drinking five glasses in 5 minutes is not normal.
The causes of excessive thirst can range from normal dehydration, sweating, increase in body temperature to diabetes, kidney disorders.
In regards to your problem, i may need some extra information for which i would need to ask
1) since how long you have noticed increased thirst?
2) how is your frequency of urination? frequent night time urination?
3) Is there any change in your appetite in recent times or do you feel like eating more?
4) any family history of diabetes?
5) any other symptoms? swelling over body, pain, fever etc?

This information can narrow down your clinical possibilities.
Additionally, there warrants certain blood and urine investigations.
These are-
urine biochemical and microscopic analysis,
serum electrolyte, Fasting and post prandial blood sugar levels.

kindly reply....

Reagards,
Dr Pankaj B
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Pankaj Borade 7 minutes later
like a few months ago n I would go a few times at night and slot doing the day. yes my grandma have diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Borade 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to screen for diabetes

Detailed Answer:
thanks for the reply.
In view of the history and compliants, I would suggest few investigations. It can guide us in knowing your urine and blood constituents. Based on the result we can then further work to establish a diagnosis.
The condition that I consider and rule out are pre diabetic or a diabetic state, any kidney related condition.
Therefore my suggestion to you are
1) investigations- Fasting blood sugar, Post prandial blood sugar, liver and renal function test, complete urine biochemical analysis.
2) A Consulation to local physican for physical examination.

Hope you find my opinion satisfying. Kindly revert back for any queries.

stay healthy!

Dr Pankaj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad