What causes excessive sweating?
Excessiv sweating needs work up and management accordingly.
Thank you for asking
I read your question and i understand your concern. Excessive sweating AKA hyperhidrosis is a wide array of manifestation to many etiologies underlying and need a lot of work up to reach one. Although any site on the body can be affected by hyperhidrosis, the sites most commonly affected are the palms, soles, and axillae. Hyperhidrosis may be idiopathic or secondary to other diseases, metabolic disorders, febrile illnesses, or medication use. Hyperhidrosis exists in 3 forms: emotionally induced hyperhidrosis (in which it affects the palms, soles, and axillae, localized hyperhidrosis, and generalized hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis often causes great emotional distress and occupational disability regardless of the form and it needs to be sorted out.
Your doctor will likely do the following lab work to sort out the roots for this excessive sweating
1)Thyroid function tests may reveal underlying hyperthyroidism or thyrotoxicosis.
2)Blood glucose levels may reveal diabetes mellitus or hypoglycemia.
3)Urinary catecholamines may reveal a possible pheochromocytoma.
4)Uric acid levels may reveal gout.
5)A purified protein derivative (PPD) test can be performed to screen for tuberculosis.
6)Chest radiography may be used to rule out tuberculosis or a neoplastic cause of the hyperhidrosis.
Apart from that there is a long list of medications that can cause that too. Let your endocrinologist sort it out for you.
I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What can cause excessive sweating
- Excessive sweating is cause by marijuana
- What causes excessive sweating migraine and dizziness while standing up
- Excessive sweating causes
- Medical causes excessive sweating
- What is causing excessive sweating in face and head
- Excessive sweating what could be causing this
- What causes excessive sweating cold and headaches only during nights
- What causes excessive sweating and redness in ears
- Implanon cause excessive sweating
- Inflamed gums, bleeding. Was on prednisone. Had herpes. Is this a sign...
- Upper eyelid skin graft done to lengthen eyelid was not successful. Can...
- Diagnosed with stiff person syndrome and having muscle spasms. Taking ...
- Have hep c, HIV with anemia, fluid retention in legs, rash on palms and...
- Having trouble sleeping due to worry. Done with nuclear stress test and...
- Have Polymyalgia rheumatica. Having pain and feeling uncomfortable. What...
- Suffering from severe anxiety and pain in abdomen. Could It be...
- What is the best cream for haemorrhoids?
- Feels like room is spinning and have dizziness. Could I ask a doctor?
- Experiencing pain in ear and getting headache around left ear. What...